|European Watercolors — Cro˙, 17 Recto, The Center of the Village of Rotselaar|
|Cro˙, 17 Recto, The Center of the Village of Rotselaar
The Album d'Authal, by Adrien de Montigny, Originally from the Collection of Charles de Cro˙
Medium: Watercolors on vellum
Dimensions: approximately 20 ½" x 15 ¼" inches
The village here appears rather densely populated, though this was not actually the case. In 1598, the population of Rotselaar was at its lowest point of the 16th century, and the village had fallen on rather hard times. Adrien de Montigny chose to show it full of life, with a shepherd playing the bagpipes in the cool shadows of the trees while his dog watches the herd (this despite the absolute lack of herds in Rotselaar at this time), people on foot and horseback entering the village at lower right, and even a small procession in front and slightly to the left of the church.
This view is taken from the north side of the village. The two principal roads, each bordered by houses, pass in front of and beyond the church, which was located on the main square of the town. The road on the left led through the hamlet of Dieve and eventually connected to the main thoroughfare between Louvain and Aarshot, while that on the right went towards the west (right), crossing the Dyle near the watermills.